2 Day Virtual Workshop
Finding Your Balance
with Loretta Lam
Saturday - Sunday
November 7 - 8, 2020; 10:00 am - 5:00 pm daily
We all recognize when a design doesn’t work. We can sense the imbalance. Visual equilibrium is necessary to establishing harmony in art jewelry. But how do we choose which type of balance to use?
Loretta will teach you how to use the four types of balance: symmetry, modified symmetry, asymmetry and radial balance. All design elements have visual weight, direction, and energy. Learning to identify and use these elements deliberately, will lead to greater control over your design. Strong design produces work that is fresh, contemporary, and dynamic. You will be delighted to see how easily and confidently you can accomplish this with a few key choices.
In this class you will:
- Discover the effects of four basic types of balance
- Learn how to use size, texture, direction, shape and form to support your design choice
- Acquire the tools to help you resolve design obstacles
- Design and create a beautifully balanced piece of jewelry
Loretta, a graduate of SUNY New Paltz’s renowned BFA metalsmithing program, has been working in polymer since 1999. She is a five-time finalist and winner of the NICHE award in 2008. You can find her work at fine craft galleries across the US and at the nation’s top retail art shows, including the Smithsonian Craft Show.
She has participated in several prestigious exhibitions including the CraftForms International Show in 2014 and Artistar International Milan in 2016.
Loretta is a highly regarded teacher regularly presenting workshops and week-long retreats in jewelry design and polymer technique. She is in demand to teach worldwide, where she encourages students to create their best work and gives them the tools to accomplish it!
Loretta's work has been featured in numerous magazines and books, and her first book - Mastering Contemporary Jewelry Design, is published in 2020. In 2016, Loretta was honored to give a keynote address at EuroSynergy2 in Bordeaux, France.
She lives and works in the lovely Hudson River Valley in Carmel, NY with her husband, son and faithful canine companion, Shadow.
Questions, contact Artist Assistant
Member Fee: $250.00
Non-member Fee: $275.00
In the comfort of your home studio
Materials and Supplies
This workshop is about design so the piece will be created in your desired medium. Whether you use metal, beads, or alternative materials, be sure to have all your standard tools and supplies at your disposal!
For the design work you will need:
- Notebook or Sketchbook, and drawing materials for designing your project (2D design)
- Light card stock, scissors, and masking tape or modeling clay for model making (3D design)
- Inspiration images. These should be images that thrill you, bring you joy, make your heart sing! They can be landscapes, still lives, human forms or objects. You will choose them based on the appeal of the balance in the image.
Whether it’s the form, colors, texture, or mood these images will give you a jumping-off point for your design.
- All the basic tools and supplies you generally work with.
- Bring any pieces you’re working on that you would like design feedback on or help with.
- And a spirit willing to try new things, forge ahead and have a great time!!
Not a current MAGG member? Join today Membership is $50 annually.
Register for the workshop with the participation fee payable in advance via the MAGG website at www.metalartsguildga.org
If your payment is accepted, you are registered for the workshop. If the workshop is sold out and you want to be added to the wait list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
If you need to cancel your registration, please notify the workshop contact as soon as possible. A cancellation fee of 20% of the workshop tuition will be charged on cancellations received more than 28 days before the start of the workshop. Cancellations received less than 28 days but more than 7 days before the workshop will receive a 50% refund; cancellations received 7 days or less before the start of the workshop will receive no refund. If your seat in the workshop can be filled, only the cancellation fee (20%) will apply.