3 Day Virtual Workshop
with Alison Antelman
Friday - Sunday
September 10-12, 2021; 12:00 - 7:00 pm EST
Register by August 26 to allow time for kits to be sent
Don't miss this very special opportunity with Alison to learn a variety of techniques with TUBING! As pictured above, students will make 2 projects: a hinged pendant with a trillion stone setting that hangs from a bail created with hand-made bent tubing. A pivot earring where students learn to stretch tubing that fits a faceted stone for simple earrings that pivot.
Tubing definition: a hollow form open at both ends, not necessarily round. Explore the myriad ways to make and use tubing. Join, bend, connect, hang, set faceted trillion stones, stretch and hinge, using tubing.
Each class is also recorded and available for students to watch later (for 30 days), to review instructions or in case you missed a part of the class. Alison will send you a kit for this class and the kit fee is included in the registration fee. Register by July 28 to take advantage of our early bird specials!
This is an intermediate level class, basic fabrication and soldering required.
IMPORTANT!!! Students need either a bolted down bench vise or make your own draw pull jig. Learn how to make a draw pull: F DIY draw pull.pdf
Please scroll down to see all the tools needed for this workshop. If you have any questions concerning the tools or skills needed for the workshop, please feel free to contact Alison directly: email@example.com
Alison B. Antelman exhibits and sells her work from her studio, galleries and at craft shows nationally. She’s participated in gallery exhibitions from Los Angeles to Massachusetts including at Mobilia and Facere Galleries and the Palos Verdes Art Center. She was awarded Honorable Mention at Lakefront Festival of Art at the Milwaukee Art Museum, 2018 CraftBoston Holiday Award of Distinction in Jewelry, she is a 2015 Niche Award Winner, won First Place in the 2014 Charles Lewton Brain Fold-Forming Competition and 2017 & 2015 Best of Jewelry at the Sun Valley Center Arts & Crafts Festival. Her work is published in New Bracelets 2021 Promo press, JCK Magazine, MJSA Journal, Art Jewelry Today 4 and Art Jewelry Today 3 by Schiffer Publishing, Showcase 500 Art Necklaces and500 Gemstone Jewels by Lark Books, Lapidary Journal’s Jewelry Artist magazine and The San Francisco Chronicle. She has written articles for Lapidary Journal, Jewelry Artist and Metalsmith Magazines, given lectures, teaches workshops through art centers and Guilds nationally. She’s relocated to Santa Fe, New Mexico and looks forward to creating her one-of-a-kind jewelry in her new well-lit studio. See more of her fantastic tubing jewelry pieces below.
Questions, contact Artist Assistant
Cost (including $35 kit fee)
Member Fee: $435.00
Non-member Fee: $460.00
Early Bird: $410/$435, good thru July 28, 2021
In the comfort of your home studio
A zoom video recording link is provided each day for students and
available for 30 days.
Materials and Supplies
Please read carefully and email Alison@antelman.com if you have questions.
*** these are items you might not have and need for this workshop
- Basic tool kit Basic tool kit: Bench pin, hand tools, files-large/small, pliers, saw, saw/blades 2/0 or 3/0. hand tools-wire cutters
- Pliers: round OR half round, flat/chain nose, cutters
- Files- basic Files large and small/mini (flat, half round, round)
- Files mini sizes 4 inch cut # 2 (my preference). round: Part # 131.583GR. three sided: Part # 131.630GR Flat/equaling: Part # 131.498GR. I love these tiny files made by Grobet from Italy at Ottofrei.com
- Soldering supplies including; torch, flux, sheet/chip hard and medium solder, pic, third hand, tweezers, pickle pot, etc…It will be useful to have a soldering pad similar to Solderite™ Pad, Hard, 6" x 6" x 1/2" Charcoal block ok too. Item #: 502063
- Burr life/beeswax or another blade lubricant
- Scribe -anything sharp to scribe into metal
- Calipers/ruler and/or other measuring device
- Sharpie marker
- Tube Cutting Jig OR Miter Jig example from otto frei: Part # 126.450
- Chasing hammer/something to set stones with.
- Stone setting tools including bezel pusher, burnisher and/or punch.
- Safety glasses
- 3mm round OR setting Burr****
- Large shears/sometimes called aviation shears or Joyce Chen shears
- Heavy mallet: something to push settings together, also to put seam together.
- goldsmith’s hammer or anything with narrow rectangular side, flat side useful too.***
- pumice wheel or small flex shaft wheel to finish/smooth end of ear wire and perimeter of stone.
- Delrin plastic OR wood block with crevices may be called U channel, used for forming metal. You can file a round groove in a block of wood. ***
- Tubing draw plate**** Steel Tube Forming Draw Plate 3.0mm-10.0mm, Part # 128.040 http://www.ottofrei.com/Tube-Forming-Draw-Plate-3.0mm-10.0mm.html
- Bolted down bench vise OR make your own Draw pull ***
- drift pin *** (aka: drift punch), small round mandrel/drift pin/punch, a tapered scribe can work too./ Gradually tapered bezel shaper/ tapered scribe- for stretching tubing. 1/16 of an inch TEKTON 1/16 Inch Alignment Punch | 66171 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QV2K0KG/ref=emc_b_5_t
- Draw tongs or Vice Grips, pointed locking vice grips*** https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Original-Locking-Pliers-1602L3/dp/B0000BYD9A
Optional: A chain to add to your pendant.
Not a current MAGG member? Join today Membership is $50 annually.
Register for the workshop with the participation fee payable in advance via the MAGG website at www.metalartsguildga.org
If your payment is accepted, you are registered for the workshop. If the workshop is sold out you will be given an option to be added to the waitlist.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
If you need to cancel your registration, please notify the workshop contact as soon as possible. A cancellation fee of 20% of the workshop tuition will be charged on cancellations received more than 28 days before the start of the workshop. Cancellations received less than 28 days but more than 7 days before the workshop will receive a 50% refund; cancellations received 7 days or less before the start of the workshop will receive no refund. If your seat in the workshop can be filled, only the cancellation fee (20%) will apply.