2 Day VIRTUAL Workshop
Kinetic Toy Brooch
with Gabriel Mo
Saturday - Sunday
May 7th-8th 2022, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm daily
*SIGN UP BY April 1, 2022 for Early-Bird Special!
Activate your metalwork designs with moving parts! This class will cover how to use hinges, springs, levers, and other components to add a dynamic and interactive spark to your projects. Over the course of the workshop, students will work to create their own interactive brooch inspired by the mechanisms of simple kinetic toys. With a focus on designing and problem solving, learn the basics of the thinking as well as the fabrication process behind making movement.
NECESSARY PRE-REQUISITES: Intermediate fabrication skills required.
Gabriel Mo is a metalsmith, contemporary jeweler, and art educator. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Murray State University, and a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design from Indiana University Bloomington. Featured in exhibitions throughout the U.S. and internationally, his creative work explores themes of belief, credibility, and the experience of discovery, framing conversations between people and objects. Currently, Gabriel lives in Bloomington, Indiana with his partner and their neurotic rescue dogs, and teaches metalsmithing and woodworking at the Indianapolis Art Center.
Workshop Artist Assistant
Early-Bird: Sign up by 4/1/2022 to get $25 off
Materials & Supply
- Saw frame, Saw blades (I use 3/0 - 4/0)
- Hand files, Needle files, Escapement files (optional)
- Miter jig or tube cutting jig
- Mini drill press or flex shaft, Drill bits (#52, #41, #30)
- Center punch, Ruler, Small engineer’s square (optional), Scriber, Dividers and/or drawing compass
- Ultra fine point sharpie (or other felt-tipped pen)
- Solder pick, Third hand with self-locking tweezer, Soldering torch
- Steel block or anvil
- Rivet hammer or small ball peen hammer
- Pickle pot
- Brass Rod:*
- 1/16” (0.0625 in) diameter, 1 foot length
- 3/32” (0.094 in) diameter, 1 foot length
- 1/8” (0.125 in) diameter, 1 foot length
- Brass Tubing:*
- 1/16” (0.0625 in) outer diameter, 1 foot length
- 3/32” (0.094 in) outer diameter, 1 foot length
- 1/8” (0.125 in) outer diameter, 1 foot length
*Available from locally and online from True Value (Ace) hardware stores, online from Armstrong Tool and Supply, McMaster-Carr, or Grainger (Make sure to double check measurements)
- Assorted small compression springs:
- Stainless steel spring wire (or preferred brooch pin wire): 0.032” dia
- Brass Sheet:
- 16 ga 6 in x 12 in
- 18 ga 6 in x 12 in
- 22 ga 6 in x 12 in
- Brass Wire:
- Silver solder (hard, medium, and easy)
- Assorted wet/dry sand paper
- Masking tape
- Heavy card stock
- Tracing paper
- Rubber cement or glue stick
- Hydrogen peroxide
In the comfort of your home studio. PC/phone with Zoom is required
Not a current MAGG member? Join today Membership is $50 annually.
Register for the workshop with the participation fee payable in advance via the MAGG website at www.metalartsguildga.org
If your payment is accepted, you are registered for the workshop. If the workshop is sold out and you want to be added to the wait list, email email@example.com.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
If you need to cancel your registration, please notify the workshop contact as soon as possible. A cancellation fee of 20% of the workshop tuition will be charged on cancellations received more than 28 days before the start of the workshop. Cancellations received less than 28 days but more than 7 days before the workshop will receive a 50% refund; cancellations received 7 days or less before the start of the workshop will receive no refund. If your seat in the workshop can be filled, only the cancellation fee (20%) will apply.