2 Day VIRTUAL Workshop
Layered Pendant with Hinged Bail
with Leslie Kail Villarreal
Saturday - Sunday
May 21st-22nd 2022, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm daily
*SIGN UP BY April 8, 2022 for Early-Bird Special!
Through fabrication methods and proper soldering techniques, students will learn how create a wire prong setting to trap objects in their jewelry. We’ll also learn a variety of soldering techniques (such as sheet & wire applique, open filigree wire work, and simple kinetics) which will help students add surprising and delightful details to their work. Many other short cuts, tips & tricks, and techniques will be covered as we go along! Soldering small to large components will be a major part of this class. Students should be prepared with ideas of jewelry designs they want to complete or the instructor can give assignments.
Please note: We will only be using a torch with two gases in this class, such as the Smith Little Torch. Be prepared to have a mind-blowing experience working with this tool!
Leslie Kail Villarreal
The artist own words:
"I am based in Marin County California, I’m a Goldsmith and Teacher. I have taught metal work techniques for over 10 years to over 4,000 students. I specialize in silver and gold metal fabrication, metal textures and stone setting, and creating online courses that are easy to follow with detailed instruction. I have a big passion for teaching and making sure my students are successful. I’m also contracted by Otto Frei for tool use and promotional videos. Website: lesliekailvillarreal.com"
Workshop Artist Assistant
Early-Bird: Sign up by 4/8/2022 to get $25 off
Materials & Supply
Please note my Supply lists are very detailed, you may not need everything below depending on what you already have in your studio :) links and item numbers supplied after purchasing
- 10 mm silver Gallery Bezel cup and 10 mm round cabochon of your choice.
- Two 6 mm round cabs of your choice 4 MM gallery bezel wire
- 1 ft Three 5mm faceted stones and 3 pre fabricated 5 mm tube settings to fit your stones
- Pressed round silver stamping elements (link provided after sign up) cost is about $16 for 2 BORDER STAMP
- Pendant: I recommend 18g sterling silver sheet (20 g is optional) 35 mm wide x 60 mm tall is fine.
- Bail 20g (22g optional) 50x15 mm
- Bonus Earrings I recommend 20g sterling sheet (22g optional) 57mm x 67mm sheet for both is plenty
- One 24g silver round disk that is about 22mm wide 24g
- sterling silver bezel strip
- 1ft 16G sterling wire
- 2 feet of 20g sterling wire
- 18g fine silver wire
- Nylon hammer
- Anti flux, Liquid flux and paste flux
- Hard medium and easy solder
- Rubber cement or glue stick
- Assorted pumice polishing wheels in bullet and flat shapes
- Sanding sponges or sandpaper assorted grits
- Staedtler Combo Circle Template
- Snap on med grit sanding discs and mandrels
- 2/0 saw blades
- Optional :
- Hammer hand-piece with diamond tip -OR texture wheels - OR course sandpaper DRILL BITS various sizes.
- 1mm to 3 mm Xtra fine point black sharpie 1/2 round file ,round file and small set of assorted files
- Ball Burs various sizes 1 to 3 mm kit is a great idea
- 5 mm setting burs
- SHARP FLUSH CUTTERS- GET GOOD ONES.
- Metal Joyce Chen or metal cutting shears
- Bezel setting tools, pusher rocker, etc for tube settings.
- Round tapered bezel mandrel
- Ring mandrel Pliers (half round and straight)
- Bail mandrels or wood dowels I used a size 5 mm ( for wire work) and 7 mm for my anti-clastic bail.
- you will also need a, flex shaft, soldering set up.
- Locking tweezers (3rd hand to hold your work)
- Torch with (propane +compressed Oxy) or Acetylene.
- Butane at your own risk, don’t recommend
- Charcoal block for making granules (balls) I use Knew concepts titanium strips for soldering get at least 3
- Optional: A great tool fo holding down pieces while soldering: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632906396/will-hold-solder-aidthird-hand?ref=shop_home_recs_1&frs=1&crt=1
- Optional: for anti-clastic bail you need a mini anti-clastic stake and holder ) and narrow ended nylon hammer Optional: tumbler and stainless mixed shot.
In the comfort of your home studio. PC/phone with Zoom is required
Not a current MAGG member? Join today Membership is $50 annually.
Register for the workshop with the participation fee payable in advance via the MAGG website at www.metalartsguildga.org
If your payment is accepted, you are registered for the workshop. If the workshop is sold out and you want to be added to the wait list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
If you need to cancel your registration, please notify the workshop contact as soon as possible. A cancellation fee of 20% of the workshop tuition will be charged on cancellations received more than 28 days before the start of the workshop. Cancellations received less than 28 days but more than 7 days before the workshop will receive a 50% refund; cancellations received 7 days or less before the start of the workshop will receive no refund. If your seat in the workshop can be filled, only the cancellation fee (20%) will apply.